COVER FOTO: Fantastic Trail Races for Each month of Summer – Maiella National Park – img by maury300
A Trail Race a Month?
Have you already planned your summer trail running holidays? Italy makes a super destination with literally several hundred trail races to choose from throughout the warmer months.
Between May right up until September you can find a wide variety of trail races, ranging from the short, easy trail races, mid distanced trails, highly technical skyrunning races and of course plenty of ultras.
So why not plan your summer holidays to include a trail running race here in Italy?
We’ve listed a great race for each of the coming months. But there are plenty more to choose from, so make sure to check out our full 2018 trail running race calendar.
And to make the most of your trail running vacation – or “trailcation” keep in mind the following tips!
- Try and programme your holiday so that the trail race takes place in the beginning, that way you’ll be able to completely relax afterwards.
- Make sure to check average temperatures for your favourite trail destinations.
- Check out maximum time limits.
- Make sure you fully understand race rules and regulations.
- Check out our vocabulary guide for mandatory kit.
So Start Planning!
MAY – Gran Raid delle Prealpi Trevigiane
The Gran Raid delle Prealpi Trevigiane takes place in the Treviso Prealps in the Veneto region in north eastern Italy. This is a point to point race. Race course mainly follows the “Alta Via TV1” a permanent walking route, and in parts follows the Long Distance Path – European E7 route.
When: 20 May 2018
Where: Segusino – Treviso (TV), Veneto – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: 72km / 4600m D+ (team relay options available)
Other distances: 25km / 1700M D+
Reasons to run it
- Well organized
- Explore the Marca Trevigiano – the Treviso Marca area.
- Post race – go on a vineyard tours and do some Prosecco tasting.
- Visit the nearby Palladian Villas, and stop for a coffee in the scenic Castelfranco Veneto.
- FLY TO: Verona, Treviso, Venice
JUNE – Sulle Tracce del Lupo Trail
Sulle Tracce del Lupo Trail translates to: On the Wolf’s Tracks – Trail Race! It takes place in the fascinating, rugged mountains of the Majella National Park in Abruzzo.
When: 24 June 2018
Where: Guardiagrele – Chieti (CH), Abruzzo – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: 42km / 2.850m D+
Other distances: 14k / 1.200m D+
Reasons to run it
- Race takes place in a wild part of Italy – a great chance to run and visit the Majella National Park
- Discover Guardiagrele, race HQ location – this fascinating town was described by poet Gabriele d’Annunzio as the “terrazza d’Abruzzo” – “Abruzzo’s terrace” and due to its religious, military and historical buildings Guardiagrele is listed as one of the 100 most fascinating villages in the whole of Italy.
- Relax in the Majella National Park. Surround yourself by nature and spend a relaxing copule of days.
- FLY TO: Pescara or Rome
JULY – Cro Trail
Cro Trail – from the Mountains to the Sea... following the France/Italy border with some exciting night running. A point to point challenging race which is guaranteed to test you physically and mentally. A race to savour, enjoy and love. A testing course in possibly difficult conditions, be prepared for extreme heat AND extreme cold. Course takes you through the fascinating Park Marguareis and Maritime Alps.
When: 6, 7 July 2018
Where: Limone – Cuneo (CN) Piedmont – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: Cro Trail 115km / 6800mD+ 7800mD- Limone-Breil sur Roya-Menton (France)
Other distances: Trail du Marguareis Limone-Breil sur Roya 80km 5400m D+ 5900m D-
Trail de la Riviera Francese Breil sur Roya – Mentone 35km 1700m D+ 2000m D-
- Altitude running over 2400m
- Post race – chill out on a beach in the French Riviera
- Head back up to the Maritime Alps and see what you missed with the night running throughout the race! This incredible area, with it’s peculiar mixture of Alpine scenery with hints of sea influences, is bound to leave you inspired. Don’t miss it!
- FLY TO: Nice or Genoa
AUGUST – TrailDoloMitica
The TrailDoloMitica is set in Val Comelico, right on the border with Austria. And as the name suggests it takes place in the Dolomites – UNESCO world heritage site.
When: 25 August 2018
Where: Padola (BL), Veneto – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: 42km / 2150m
Other distances: 22km/1100m
Reasons to run it
- Run along a path that’s surrounded by wooden sculptures!
- Great race atmosphere with plenty of extra race fun with food, music and party!
- The area offers great opportunities to take part in other sporting activities, nordic walking, guided hikes, mtb, climbing and horse riding to name a few…
- Visit one of the numerous Alpine farmsteads, and try some locally produced cheese, milk and butter…mmh
- FLY TO: Venice or Treviso
SEPTEMBER – SLO Trail
We cross the border and head into nearby Slovenia for September! Postojna is a town in the region of Inner Carniola, just 35 kilometers (22 mi) from Trieste – Italy, in southwestern Slovenia. This hundred miler offers various other distances too, and makes a top choice for trail runners wishing to experience something different.
When: 21-23 September 2018
Where: Turistično naselja Pivka Jama, Veliki Otok 50, Postojna – SLOVENIA
Distance / elevation gain: 172 km (106 m) / 7360 m (24146 f)
103 km (64 m) / 4630 m (15190 f)
50 km (31 m) / 2080 m (6824 f)
22 km (13 m) / 1000m (3280 f)
Reasons to run it
- Good opportunity to run a 100miler in Slovenia
- Don’t miss the Postojna Cave a 24,340 m long karst cave system near Postojna, southwestern Slovenia.
- Visit the enchanting Renaissance Predjama Castle dramatically built into rock.
- Take a trip to Lake Bled and relax along it’s charming shores
- FLY TO: Trieste or Lubiana
Maria Elisabetta Bellini is Italyontrail.com’s founder, born in the U.K, she came to running whilst living in Italy, where she still lives and trains. Never ceasing to marvel at what’s at the summit of a hill, or around the bend along the trail, she loves using trail running as a means to explore nature, contemplation and Italy.