We’ve recently updated our August trail running race calendar and here we bring you a selection of our favourites for the month.
Enjoy our mini preview and don’t forget to check the FULL August 2018 calendar with links to separate race information pages for each event.
Trail Running in Italy this summer? Check out some of Italy on Trail’s Top-Tips!
- New to trail running with poles? Do you know that there’s a ‘wrong’ way to carry them? Read about Italian trail running ‘etiquette’in our guide.
- Always take your litter with you, and remember to never throw any trash on the trails – Read about the project “Io Non Getto I Miei Rifiuti” “I don’t litter the trails” which set out to promote keeping the trails litter free in the Italian trail running scene.
- If you’re taking part in an Italian trail race this summer, remember that obligatory material/kit – “Materiale Obligatorio” is always required. Check out English-Italian guide to some of the equipment you may be required to carry in our mandatory kit guide.
August means Skyrunning!
With the (majority!) of Italian trails and paths finally clear from snow, August is one of the months where Skyrunning really comes into force. The Skymarathon Comano Ursus Extreme Trail, kicks of the month on 4th, followed by the Vigolana Skyrace on the 5th. The 56th edition of the Stafetta 3 Rifugi takes place on the 19th, with the Maddalene Skymarathon on the 25th.
You can see the official Italian Skyrunning Calendar here.
So, if you want to see less cloud and more (of the Italian) sky, August also offers the challenging Mont Blanc k2000 Skyrace one of the few races where the mandatory kit list includes a helmet, and if you’re curious to find out more, read Run The Alps’ top man – Doug Mayer’s article about his experience on course.
Also coming up is the super-classic Camignada Poi Sie’ Refuge (we can never pronounce that properly!), where you’ll get to experience the immense 3 Cime di Lavaredo in the Dolomites.
There’s still more sky with the Fletta Trail, the Monte Campione Skyrace, Val Chiavenna Skyrace, and a special mention goes to the Tour Monviso Trail, and of course there’s the epic UTMB® trail-fest at the end of August to entertain us all both as runners and as spectators. With Europe’s most famous trail race also in the headlines during recent times regarding the much debated decision to introduce prize money to the winners.
#3 Trail Races in Italy with English Websites
The TrailDoloMitica is set in Val Comelico, right on the border with Austria and is in one of the most scenic spots of Italy: the Dolomites – a UNESCO world heritage site.
When: 25 August 2018
Where: Padola (BL), Veneto – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: 42km / 2150m
Other distances: 22km/1100m
- Great race atmosphere with plenty of extra race fun, with good food, music and partying!
- You will be running in a World Heritage Site!
- Nearest airports: Fly to Venice or Treviso
- Post race – Visit one of the numerous Alpine farmsteads, and try some locally produced cheese, milk and butter…mmh
This highly technical race is held every two years. Limited to an field of only 250 daring competitors, it’s not one for the faint hearted, as runners tackle seven mountain passes, exposed crests and fixed chains on the route.
When: 26 August 2018
Where: Valmasino (SO), Lombardy – Italy
Distance / elevation gain: 52km / 4200m
- The Kima Trophy is described by Kilian Jornet to be: “the most spectacular race in the world”… now who’s to challenge that!?
- Guaranteed to be a “something to tell the grandchildren” experience
- Nearest airports: Fly Milan Malpensa or Bergamo
- Post race – Enjoy the Sentiero Roma at a more relaxed pace and take your camera. You will not be disappointed!
- Enjoy some Valtellina wine, with one of the area’s wine tours
- Drive or cycle along the famed road that takes you to the Stelvio Pass
2018 will be the 14th edition of this Skyrace, in the heart of the Dolomites. The Skyrace Dolomiti Friulane race route touches some of the most spectacular mountains in the area, Monfalconi, the Cridola Group and also the famous fields of Campuross.
When: 26 August 2018
Where: Forni di Sopra, Udine (UD) Friuli Venezia Giulia – Italy
Distance / elevation: 20km / 1600m
Other distances: 15km / 100m D+
- Easy to get to
- A good introductory skyrace
- Open to walkers
- Nearest airports: Fly to Verona, Venice, Treiste
- Post race – Explore the Fruilian Dolomites Regional Park – Read more in the Park’s official website.
- Visit the dinosaur’s foot print fossils in Casavento.
Maria Elisabetta Bellini is Italyontrail.com’s founder, born in the U.K, she came to running whilst living in Italy, where she still lives and trains. Never ceasing to marvel at what’s at the summit of a hill, or around the bend along the trail, she loves using trail running as a means to explore nature, contemplation and Italy.